Friday, March 16, 2012

Godre'r Glais and around Aber


‘Godre’r Glais’ is a stone house of 3 levels built around late 1700’s. The houses here are not numbered but named, a more personal touch.  The first level is Branwen’s flat and the remaining levels are ours.   Upstairs is stark and lacking personality with only the bare basic furniture; I know we will change this.  

My studio isn’t far away, just up Penglais Hill, the one that leaves me breathless and shin splints returning down again.  I will definitely be ‘hill fit’ at the end of this residency.
Our little Street, Caradog Road.

A typical Aberystwyth street, which I walk down each morning.

On the walk up I see moss on the rock fences, daffodils just poking up anywhere in a lawn and a wide variety of holly bushes.  I pass that huge library every day.
Everything is double signed in English and Welsh as Welsh is widely spoken here.

Welsh Greeny's singing in the main street, Darkness Street.
Lace shadows on the walk home each evening.
Tulips rise after the Daffodills fall

These ones look plastic but they are real


View from Aberystwyth Castle looking north and at the 1st Aber Uni campus

The ruins of Aberystwyth Castle built late 13th century
Dinner at Godre'r Glais one evening
Pizza night.in our kitchen. Left Tash, Calista, Patrick, Zoe, Alison (another one) & Rob
The walk each day never ceases to amaze me I find new things every day.
One wet evening walking home from the studio the sunset was just peeking through the trees and painted a red carpet of colour on the path beside Squirrel Park

That same sunset on reflecting red on the trees.
Aberystwyth views from the National Library of Wales

















Finally I got a photo of this elusive little grey squirrel I named Squirrel Park after.
Celebration dinner for our Open Studio went well

Tim and Patrick at dinner



4 comments:

  1. Ah..the memories❤
    I grew up in that street in the late 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in godrer glais, upper 2 levels from August 2001 till January 2002. My kids were little then, and went to plascrug school. Back in Brisbane now. Amazing to think another Queenslander was there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in godrer glais, upper 2 levels from August 2001 till January 2002. My kids were little then, and went to plascrug school. Back in Brisbane now. Amazing to think another Queenslander was there!

    ReplyDelete