Friday, March 23, 2012

In the studio's



OPEN STUDIO ARTWORKS MAY 2012

This is an open studio exhibition of my works created and inspired by my time here in Aberystwyth.  Rings of plastic appeared as a theme in my work whist I considered the open ended and lineal nature of many of today's design, manufacturing and consumer use. I hope one day this can be circular, where we close the gap and return everything to be recycled and not ending up in the worlds oceans like floating seaweed.

The Choker, 600 up-cycled bottle collars from the bottles in the window below

My materials collected, cleaned, necks removed and lined up in the window 
offering an alternative view.










The Choker from below

Using the bi-products to create a response to The Choker


Welsh seaweed I collected from Aberystwyth Beach for inspiration



 Screen printing & drawings from the seaweed and around Aber.
I've been experimenting with creating coloured from plastic bottles










Up-cycled coffee cup papers printed and drawn on, 
utilised from the many hot chocolates and coffee's during the cold .





Bottle necks from the bottles in the doorway




I was given some ring plastic ring pulls, sewed them 
and added them to the exhibition.


Open studio visitors
More open studio visitors

Vicki Salisbury, Director of Umbrella Studio, Townsville, Australia
(the gallery that sent me here) whilst visiting Aberystwyth Art Centre.


Quote by Oscar Wild and added to on the bottom line by me





WORKS IN PROGRESS
This is just a little taste of what I am playing with at the moment with colour and up-cycled bottles.






My studio, a bit sparse at the moment as I am only able to bring 23 kgs of anything from Oz.

My studio growing as I near the open studio


Brian, Sheba and I in his friendly art shop.


Also in residence


Natasha Rosling another sculptor and her studio 
http://natasharosling.com





Zoe Childerly a photographer at Newcastle Emlyn Castle
http://www.zoechilderley.moonfruit.com
 
 
Danny Markey – a painter who after 1 month has had to leave for personal reasons.
http://www.welshart.net
 



2 comments: